Safety threats are always a concern. Even in the security of your own home, your safety still lacks certainty. There must be a place somewhere in the house where you can seek refuge should danger happen. The idea of building a safe room is the best solution to this problem. Consider the case of Kurt Westergaard. This Danish cartoonist was attacked by an axe-wielding Islamic fundamentalist for sketching a controversial cartoon of the Prophet Muhammad. He hid himself inside his safe room which prevented the intruder from killing him. The axe-wielder was later killed by the police when he resisted arrest. A safe box has been instrumental in saving many lives.
What is a Safe Room?
The name of the room itself is a good description. A safe room also known as a panic room is a well-barricaded and reinforced room in private homes or business that offers a secured place for house its occupants to conceal themselves in the event of danger. It is similar to a safe or vault, except it safeguards people, not money. A safe room furnishes shelter from a house fire in case no exit is possible, When not in use, you can utilize the room to safeguard your valuable and important items. You can use the room also as a safe storage. Finally, it is a useful shelter for the family from physical disasters such as: storms, hurricanes, tornadoes and even some nuclear events. The term safe room has been seldom used; but the term became popular after Jodie Foster's film, Panic Room was shown. In the past, only the rich and the famous could afford to maintain a panic room. Today, building a safe room is as affordable as renovating a part of your home. If you have a shoe-string budget and building a new addition is not affordable; then you can convert one room in the house to a safe room.
What are the features of a Safe Room?
The best features of a safe room are:
- The walls and ceiling are well-fortified;
- The door are impenetrable;
- The room is comfortable for habitation, and
- It contains good communication equipment.
Communication equipment includes a cellular telephone, land-line telephone or a simple radio receiver which will enable you to contact the authorities. To monitor the area outside, you use a security camera and alarm system. A peephole in the door will offer an external view from the room. A safe room usually contains basic emergency and items for survival inlcluding: a flashlight, batteries, blankets, first-aid kit, water supply and canned & packaged food. Tools for self defense include firearms, a gas mask, and a portable toilet.
Constructing a safe room:
A safe room is either elaborate or as simple as a corner of the basement. A basement can be renovated into a safe room by erecting concrete walls You can construct an effective safe room by the use of two concrete corner walls, two other sturdy walls, and a stronger ceiling such as one constructed of multiple layers of wood and concrete, preferably thick reinforced concrete like basement walls. Install a steel door, secondary exit, and good ventilation system. Safe room built for celebrities and business executives, used sheets of steel, Kevlar or bullet proof fiberglass for walls and door reinforcement. Long screws strengthen the hinges and strike plates. Some expensive safe rooms are equipped with a ventilation system and a surveillance system.
The best constructed safe room will have a steel lined wall or a more economical option is using a brick or cement reinforcement are used to reinforce the ceiling. The door must be impenetrable or use a double core metal door. The finishing touch is a heavy duty deadbolt lock system.
A safe room is your protection against the risk of trespassers and intruders once you are inside. The FBI reported that most crimes, like rape and even murder, took place inside the home. A safe room is not as expensive as you may think. Take a look at one and consider that one day this room could save your life.
- Safe Room: Explains the function of a safe room in case of fire in the building.
- Westegaard and the Panic Room: How Westergaard saved his life by seeking refuge in a safe room.
- Panic Room : Synopsis of the movie that reawakened people's interest in the security offered by a panic room.
- All about Safe Rooms: Everything you need to know about safe rooms
- Construct a Safe Room: More information and plans in constructing a safe room
- FAQ on Safe Room: Answers all questions regarding Safe Rooms
- Safe Room Protection: Are safe rooms enough protection for your family?
- Use of Safe Room: A discussion on how safe room protects women from violent partners.
- Prioritizing a Safe Room: Between constructing a safe room and putting up an entertainment room, choose the first.
- Emergency Preparedness : The government answers questions about preparation for disasters.
- Building a Safe Room Inside your House: This Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) booklet contains information and diagram in constructing a safe room.
- Concrete Safe Rooms: Best materials to use in constructing a safe room.
- An Economical Safe Room: The best materials available for build an economical safe room.
- Adding a Safe Room: With a safe room at home, you can improve your home security system.
- Emergency Event: Know what you are supposed to do in an emergency situation and the role of a safe room.
- Modular Safe Room: The innovative modular safe room is the best alternative in the absence of a safe room.
- Safe Room Construction: Guide to the best materials to build your safe room
- Cost of Safe Room Construction: Know the construction cost of the safe room you are going to build.
- Safe Room Plans : Plans for a safe room is available on this site.
- Tips for a tornado and hurricane: The safe room is the best place to stay in case you cannot evacuate when disasters occur.
- Home Security Expert : You can hire a home security expert to check on the security plans at home including your safe room.
- Beluga Crew/Safe room versus Somali Buccaneers: The Somali pirates were frustrated when the Beluga crew hid inside the panic room of the ship.